Eudaimonia

Aristotle believed that a man lived his life to achieve something he called eudaimonia, (pronounced "you die moan ee a") which is translated "happiness" in its simplest form. And happiness seems to be a key goal in many of the philosophers. But for Aristotle, happiness is not the mental state that we often think of as defining the word "happiness." For Aristotle, eudaimonia, happiness, meant to successfully achieve one's purpose for living.

Therefore, for Aristotle, a man could not be truly happy until he died. He could not know that he had successfully completed his purpose in life until then. For Aristotle (and I wonder if this is what Jefferson meant as our unalienable right to the pursuit of happiness) the reason to live for moral and intellectual virtue was so that in the end of one's life, we might have eudaimonia.

Now there are some immediate theological objections that come to mind for me.
• The Bible tells me I may "rejoice evermore."
• The Bible tells me I may know I have eternal life (which is man's ultimate purpose)
• The Bible tells me I do not have to wonder if, when I die, I will be happy. I can know today that I will be in the presence of the Lord and experiencing eternal joys

But I also see some incredible significance here for men seeking their unalienable right to pursue happiness.
• Happiness is not a momentary, fleeting thing; it a goal
• Happiness is not something we obtain immediately, it is a prize we gain in heaven

A person may live a lifetime seeking a temporary mental state of happiness only to come to the end of life and discover they have missed the real prize. On the other hand
A person might suffer some degree of hardship in this life in their pursuit of happiness find that in the next life they have gotten from God something far greater; eudaimonia.

Romans 8:18 KJV
For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

Marvin McKenzie
In the fields

Buy the Boat

Life Is Short - Buy the Boat Recently, while traveling south on I-5, entering the Fife Washington area, I saw the brightly lit advertisement...