A recent comment on my blog No Proof God Exists, Really? (His comments are found in a version of this blog flipped to Flipboard at this cite.) says,
“Just because stories in a book exist does not make them true. By that logic, Spider-man exists just as much as god does.”
My answer to him is, “Your comparison is absurd. Spider man's author:
· never claimed to be inspired,
· never confirmed inspiration through fulfilled prophecy and
· never corroborated his work through multiple witnesses.
To elaborate upon that I add, in every case these are true of the Bible.
· Throughout the Old Testament the writers used statements such as “Thus saith the Lord.” They spoke not their own words but what God told them to speak.
· The Bible is filled with prophecies, pronouncements declared before the fact. More than three quarters of those prophecies have been fulfilled, not partially, but exactly. The remaining prophecies have a future fulfillment to our day.
· The Bible is not one book but a series of sixty-six books, written over a period of thousands of years by approximately forty different writers. Each book is individual and bears the character of the writer, yet presents a cohesive unity with the others.
The Bible is like no other book.
2 Timothy 3:16 (KJV)
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: