A Word of Caution Concerning John Piper

Prompted by a link from a couple of independent Baptist pastors, I viewed a five-minute segment of a message delivered by John Piper to the American Association of Christian Counsellors.[1]Someone wrote that this is the “Scott’s Tots” of preaching, a term I had never heard before. Apparently, it is a reference to a particularly funny episode of a television comedy show. 
One response to the Scott’s Tots remark was to say, “if this is Scott’s Tots preaching, sign me up.”
John Piper is the son of a fundamentalist preacher and the retired pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Piper is a class act. He always appears to be gracious, kind and compassionate. 
May I remind my reader that class does not equate with correctness?
I consider John Piper to be one of the most detrimental Christian thinkers of this generation. He is so articulate, so classy and so soft-spoken that it would be possible to forget that his theology is wrong. 
·      He is strongly Calvinist
·      He once proposed, unsuccessfully, to his “Baptist” church that they invite unbaptized believers into the membership of the church and trust God He will lead them to scriptural baptism some time in the future. 
Piper is friendly with Fundamentalists and has written a document declaring such.[2]All that means is that fundamental Baptist preachers may read his materials without feeling threatened as they are being unwittingly sucked down the same path from Fundamentalism to error as he is. 
He is dangerous. I suggest he be avoided. I certainly urge caution and recommend a strong mentor help a younger preacher through Piper’s materials. 

Marvin McKenzie 
In the fields

No comments:

Post a Comment

Buy the Boat

Life Is Short - Buy the Boat Recently, while traveling south on I-5, entering the Fife Washington area, I saw the brightly lit advertisement...