Scientific Proof of God’s Omnipresence

Science seeks to prove things as fact through the process of observation, measurement and repetition. In science, a man poses a theory, others conduct experiments to prove or disprove the theory and, when the findings are sufficient to warrant it, an authority such as a scientific journal publishes it.

This process is demonstrated in the Bible concerning God’s Omnipresence.

First
David poses his theory[1]
Psalms 139:7-12 KJV
Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.
Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.

The Psalmist asks the question, “Whither shall I go from [God’s] Spirit?
  • Is there any place where a man might go to hide away from God?
  • Is there any place where the Lord does not exist?

After posing the question, he proposes his answer through a series of suggestions:
  • Is God in heaven? Yes.
  • Is God in hell? Yes
  • Is God in the uttermost parts of the sea? Yes
  • Is God in the darkness? Yes
  • Is God in the night? Yes

He has given his question and proposed His answer.

Jonah tests His theory
Jonah 1:1-2:3 KJV
Now the word of the LORD came unto Jonah the son of Amittai, saying,
Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry against it; for their wickedness is come up before me.
But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD, and went down to Joppa; and he found a ship going to Tarshish: so he paid the fare thereof, and went down into it, to go with them unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD.
But the LORD sent out a great wind into the sea, and there was a mighty tempest in the sea, so that the ship was like to be broken.
Then the mariners were afraid, and cried every man unto his god, and cast forth the wares that were in the ship into the sea, to lighten it of them. But Jonah was gone down into the sides of the ship; and he lay, and was fast asleep.
So the shipmaster came to him, and said unto him, What meanest thou, O sleeper? arise, call upon thy God, if so be that God will think upon us, that we perish not.
And they said every one to his fellow, Come, and let us cast lots, that we may know for whose cause this evil is upon us. So they cast lots, and the lot fell upon Jonah.
Then said they unto him, Tell us, we pray thee, for whose cause this evil is upon us; What is thine occupation? and whence comest thou? what is thy country? and of what people art thou?
And he said unto them, I am an Hebrew; and I fear the LORD, the God of heaven, which hath made the sea and the dry land.
Then were the men exceedingly afraid, and said unto him, Why hast thou done this? For the men knew that he fled from the presence of the LORD, because he had told them.
Then said they unto him, What shall we do unto thee, that the sea may be calm unto us? for the sea wrought, and was tempestuous.
And he said unto them, Take me up, and cast me forth into the sea; so shall the sea be calm unto you: for I know that for my sake this great tempest is upon you.
Nevertheless the men rowed hard to bring it to the land; but they could not: for the sea wrought, and was tempestuous against them.
Wherefore they cried unto the LORD, and said, We beseech thee, O LORD, we beseech thee, let us not perish for this man's life, and lay not upon us innocent blood: for thou, O LORD, hast done as it pleased thee.
So they took up Jonah, and cast him forth into the sea: and the sea ceased from her raging.
Then the men feared the LORD exceedingly, and offered a sacrifice unto the LORD, and made vows.
Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.
Then Jonah prayed unto the LORD his God out of the fish's belly,
And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.
For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me.

Jonah attempted to flee from the presence of God into Tarshish. Though the location of the city is uncertain, it is thought to have been in Spain and perhaps associated with the  lost city of Atlantis. It was the opposite of Nineveh, in what is now modern day Iraq and was then the power center of Middle Eastern Gentilism; across the ocean, an entire culture away. Perhaps God did not exist there.

What Jonah learned is that

  • God is indeed in the midst of the sea
  • God is certainly in the belly of the great fish and 
  • God, he implies God is in the midst of our hell

David posed the question and suggested the theory that there was no place where a man could go from the presence of God.

Jonah tested the theory through personal experimentation and demonstrated that there was in fact no place he could flee that God was not already there.

God authenticated the findings
Amos 9:1-4 KJV
I saw the Lord standing upon the altar: and he said, Smite the lintel of the door, that the posts may shake: and cut them in the head, all of them; and I will slay the last of them with the sword: he that fleeth of them shall not flee away, and he that escapeth of them shall not be delivered.
Though they dig into hell, thence shall mine hand take them; though they climb up to heaven, thence will I bring them down:
And though they hide themselves in the top of Carmel, I will search and take them out thence; and though they be hid from my sight in the bottom of the sea, thence will I command the serpent, and he shall bite them:
And though they go into captivity before their enemies, thence will I command the sword, and it shall slay them: and I will set mine eyes upon them for evil, and not for good.

In this passage the Lord, speaking through the prophet Amos, confirms what David had proposed and Jonah had proven.

Though science will no doubt deny the science of the Word of God there is, none the less, scientific proof that God is indeed omnipresent.

Marvin McKenzie
In the fields



[1] I am speaking as a man. I understand that David wrote under divine inspiration and therefore it is no theory from the supernatural perspective.

Buy the Boat

Life Is Short - Buy the Boat Recently, while traveling south on I-5, entering the Fife Washington area, I saw the brightly lit advertisement...