What would Jesus Do?

 What would Jesus do?

 

Recently I posted a response to an appeal to vote in favor of two public school levy increases. I simply commented that I would not voluntarily give the public school system any more of my money.

 

A supporter of the school system, a retired teacher and coach responded back to me, “What would Jesus do, Pastor?”

 

The following is the interaction between us.[1]

 

M.E.M.

Good question. I find that those who ask the question have an opinion generally associated with


assumptions attached to their political leanings. I’ve read the book that made the question popular, (In His Steps by Charles Sheldon). I was hugely impressed until my pastor pointed out that nowhere in the book are people encouraged to actually read the Bible and see what Jesus would do. 

I do not know what Jesus would do. But I do know what Jesus did do. I also know what Jesus taught. Jesus did pay a temple tax to avoid offense. Jesus taught us to render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar’s and unto God the things that are God’s. Jesus taught us that we wrestle against principalities, powers, and spiritual wickedness in high places.

Our government gives us the ability to wrestle with those in high places through our vote. Our children belong to God and not to the government, and therefore I will cast my vote in favor of financial management. If the levy passes, I will then pay the tax so as to avoid offense.

 

J.H.

 The children belong to us, and each of us must do everything in our power to give them the best-possible educational experience. I have a hunch that Christ would agree. Luke 18:15-17

 

M.E.M.

Hunches are the problem. Is the "us" the children belong to the community or the parents? Jesus taught the parents to bring their children up in the nurture and the admonition of the Lord. Does the public school system do that? Aren't they, in fact, forbidden to do that? Luke 18:16-17 instructs us to bring children to the Lord. I am all for that. Less money for public schools so parents have more options to teach THEIR children about Jesus.

 

J.H.

Education for ALL is an essential component of nurturing. It is wrong to deny the best-possible education to every child simply because they are not following your particular path to the Lord.

 

M.E.M.

You are assuming that the best possible education is to be had in the public school system, provided they get more of our tax dollars. I make no such assumption.

 

 

 



[1] M.E.M. is me. J.H. is the man who responded. The conversation is ongoing I hope. I enjoy fair dialog and believe it to be beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Buy the Boat

Life Is Short - Buy the Boat Recently, while traveling south on I-5, entering the Fife Washington area, I saw the brightly lit advertisement...