A Baptist Or Just A Fundamentalist

Recently I shared a graphic designed to describe the difference between a fundamentalist Christian and a Fundamental Baptist.[1]

Fundamentalism is a historical event. Christians of several denominations agreed together to battle modernism within Christianity by promoting five fundamental doctrines true of those in the several denominations. These fundamentals are basic and vague enough that Christians in a broad range of churches could agree. It seems obvious that, though a Christian agrees with them, they do not define his specific faith. The graphic I shared is meant to describe, in very basic terms, the position of. Fundamental Baptist. Amazingly, I’ve experienced some push back just from sharing this graphic. 

One who responded is a young pastor.
I don’t think I know him personally. The church I pastored supported his dad’s missionary ministry maybe thirty years ago. Perhaps he visited our church back then, I don’t know. This young preacher has released a music recording I enjoy very much. For these reasons, I reached out to him. Shortly after the connection, I had reason to suspect this young preacher has been influenced by Stephen Anderson and I backed off my connection.
He was the first to respond to the graphic. He felt it was important to point out that the Baptist distinctive does not mention either the timing of the rapture or one’s position on Israel. 

The second response was from an elderly pastor, now retired. 
I know this pastor quite well. I used to visit his church whenever he hosted preachers such as Bob Gray, Jack Hyles, and Curtis Hutson. I met with him for several days, years ago. The result of that meeting was a simple philosophy statement I still hold to, “Salvation, Instruction and Hope”. (I also learned to be content in whatever ministry God gives me by observing his lack of contentment.) In the final years of his ministry, he changed his standards and his convictions, making a public statement acknowledging this change through a book he authored.
His response to the graphic was to ask;
·       Is a church that does not use the KJV Baptist?
·       Is a church that doesn’t have a deacon Baptist? and
·       Is a church that does not hold to Baptist perpetuity Baptist?

In response 
I would like to point out that the graphic is meant to be a basic description of Baptist convictions. Obviously, there are differences among each Baptist church. I would also remind readers, and those who would push back, that the first Baptist distinctive is a desire to be biblical. We don’t view Baptist history as our authority. We view the Bible as the authority for our faith. 

Regarding the timing of the rapture, I propose it is suggested in the fundamental of the second coming of Christ. I understand that Protestants are frequently post-millennialists and that some Baptists have been post-tribulationalists. However, I insist that the Bible is pre-tribulational in its timing of the Rapture.

As to the issue of Israel, the nation of Israel today is not where God will one day have them. Christians today are the spiritual seed of Abraham, the true circumcision of this age. Still, God’s Word is clear, God will once again take up His people and there is a blessing on those who support them. 

As for the question about the King James Version, this issue has no place in the discussion unless it is implied in the fundamental of inerrancy. My position is in favor of the KJV but bringing it into this discussion is, with respect to the preacher who brought it up, baiting and argumentative. 

The question of the deacons is simple, it has to do with the difference in polity between the various churches. Baptists have only two offices, pastors and deacons, as opposed to the presbyterian and episcopal polities. The distinctive does not require deacons. It does require no other offices (cardinals, bishops popes, etc) than pastors and deacons. 

Finally, on the question of perpetuity, my senior preacher is clearly baiting an argument. Perpetuity is neither implied nor proposed in the graphic. For my part, perpetuity is fact. Baptists are not, must not be Protestant. To believe that Baptists began in England at about the same time as Congregationalists, Pilgrims, Separatists, Puritans and etc., is tantamount to identifying as Protestant and not Baptist.

Marvin McKenzie
In the fields



[1]I suppose there is also a difference between a fundamentalist Baptist and Fundamental Baptist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Buy the Boat

Life Is Short - Buy the Boat Recently, while traveling south on I-5, entering the Fife Washington area, I saw the brightly lit advertisement...